The great value of cement board is it does not rot, warp, grow mold, or deteriorate, when subjected to water, therefore is recommended to use in wet applications such as showers. Cement backer board is mainly used as a sub-surface for tiling.
There are other cement based boards that serve as full surface membrane such as Knauf Aquapanel with glass fibre and cement particles boards are created by bonding cement with wood particles at high pressure such as Versapanel, which can also be used as a exterior backing board.
- Faster construction times,
- More return on investment,
- Low maintenance,
- Smooth surface,
- Easy to work with,
- High fire, sound and thermal performance,
- Good water repellence properties,
- Resistant to mould and mildew.
- Ideal for bathrooms, wet-rooms and kitchens,
- Perfect for areas with high humidity, non-combustible,
- Will not rot or warp
- As an Exterior Siding - Fibre cement boards have gained considerable popularity as perfect siding material. This is because they are far more durable than the alternatives such as vinyl siding and wood siding and more economical than stucco, stone, and brick (considering the cost of installation as well). Apart from the fact that fibre cement boards are extremely resistant to external influences such as ultraviolet rays, salt spray, rain and heat, they are also impenetrable by birds or insects. Further, they are immune to temperature changes and impact, and they require minimal maintenance. In addition, fibre cement boards are available in many different styles with varying textures and colours. This allows homeowners to choose designs that best suit their needs and tastes. Moreover, fibre cement boards are available in different shapes and can thus be used for soffits and trim applications.
- As a Substrate for Tiled Walls - Fibre cement boards are also useful inside the house. They are ideal as tile backing boards, particularly in bathrooms and kitchens. Since fibre cement boards are either water resistant or waterproof, they make for ideal tile backing material in wet areas of the house. They are more resistant to mold and mildew and do not breakdown as a result of the constant moisture. Moreover, they help the tiles adhere to the walls better, making your tiled walls more durable. They also offer a smooth finish, which is extremely important for tile installation. Owing to their water resistant/waterproof and durable nature, fiber cement boards are also used for kitchen counters and bathroom slabs/shelves.
- As an Underlayment for Flooring - Fibre cement boards are the perfect substrate for tile flooring. These can be used anywhere in the house, but are most commonly used as an underlayment for bathroom and kitchen floors. Since these boards adhere well to both wood and tiles and provide a smooth and strong surface, they make an excellent choice for an underlayment. These prevent tile and grout cracking and breaking, and also provide you with a rigid surface to work on.
- Use gloves, goggles and fine toothed saw,
- Make a dry run. Lay out boards, but do not affix to the surface yet. Mark partial boards by drawing cut lines on the surface of the cement board with a carpenter's pencil. Where the board must go around irregular obstructions, such as plumbing pipes, toilets etc., draw a template on contractor's paper, cut out the template with scissors, then transfer that pattern to the backer board with pencil. On regular obstructions such as windows, doors etc, measure and cut the boards to size and number them.
- Fix the planned out boards to the surface with screws, and where needed use thinset mortar. Screw heads should be slightly below the cement board surface.
- Cover seams with fibreglass seam tape.
- Fill in and smooth with mortar. Let dry.
- Depending on the application, lay tiles or plaster.
Here at InsulationShop.co you'd find you can find find various types and sizes cement based backer boards, render carrier boards, sheathing boards from well known manufacturers such as Euroform, James Hardie, Knauf, RCM.
Versa Rendaboard is a solid white in colour direct render base board, carefully designed for direct render applications, with textured face to one side and compatibility with a vast number of polymeric coating systems.
Versapanel cement bonded particle board is an innovative building material especially designed to meet the set requirements in regard to moisture tolerance and fire resistance, durability, safety and flexibility.
Hardiebacker cement floor board is backboard used as an ideal substrate for vinyl, natural stone and ceramic tiles, especially designed for floors and countertops, though it can be used even for masonry walls.
Knauf Aquapanel Interior Cement Board is an extremely durable tile backer providing peace of mind in wet indoor areas such as bathrooms, shower rooms and wet rooms.
Renderflex is a cellulose/fibre cement based render carrier board, primarily used as base board for polymer modified render systems which do not include insulation added to the board before rendering.