External Wall Insulation Systems
- Phenolic external wall insulation boards,
- Polystyrene boards,
- Mineral wool slabs,
- Insulation fixings and beads,
- Fibreglass rendering mesh,
- Primers, adhesives and renders
If you have decided to add insulation to your exterior wall, you will notice that the task should not be taken lightly and, unlike insulating your interior wall or your floor for example, it involves a few components more, that is, an entire system that must be applied in order of making the insulation work correctly. Adding external wall insulation includes quite a few stages and involves an entire set of different products and materials whose installation often includes serious reconstruction work, why it is important to make sure that you get everything you need. Here at Insulation Shop we provide just that – an entire and complete set of high quality insulation products and all additional materials and components necessary for adding insulation to your solid walls.
The installation process involves a few stages of adding proper materials to your solid wall, usually using the dot and dab technique, which, simply put, includes adding an insulation material to the wall surface by using specially designed adhesives, adding a primer and covering it with a mesh and then adding a render for a smooth finish. If the process seems too complicated, not to worry, since the following should convince you otherwise:
- The most important component of the entire system is the insulation material bonded to the wall surface, it is crucial that you only choose highly efficient products that have all the required properties and insulation power. These include different types of PIR or phenolic insulation boards (a popular choice), polystyrene or mineral wool slabs, all able to add to your home energy efficiency. If you need additional advice in choosing the most adequate product, our advice is to opt for either:
- Kingspan Kooltherm K5 External Wall Board is a one of the top selling phenolic core external wall insulation boards, applicable to both solid and cavity brick and block walls. It comprises of a fire class 0 rated phenolic core covered with a glass tissue on both sides. The board is used t both new build and refurbishment projects. It is highly effective in air filtration, fire resistance and water vapour control, and also very environmentally friendly--zero ODP and low GWP blowing agents.
- Kingspan Kooltherm K15 Rainscreen Board is another phenolic core external insulation board we offer. It consists of a rigid thermoset phenolic core covered with low emissivity composite foil, which is very easy and safe to use, class 0 fire rated, and also mould, air and water resistant. And also Xtratherm Phenolic Insulation Board including a class 0 rated foam core covered with low emissivity foil facings offers low thermal conductivity. They have the durability to withstand the life span of the building and to give premium effectiveness in both new build and refurbishment applications.
- Jablite External Wall Insulation Board or Grey Polystyrene (Graphite) External Wall Insulation Board is another option worth considering, which has a much wider application in not only in external walls, but also internal walls, floors, basements and roof insulation. The boards are made of expanded polystyrene, very lightweight and easily cut to the desired size, durable, rot proof and able to meet and exceed the values prescribed by the applicable Building Regulations. Grey Polystyrene (Graphite) is a high quality expanded polystyrene (EPS) board enhanced with integrated graphite within its bead structure. The high-purity graphite particles integrated within the insulation beads reflects radiant heat and significantly improves insulation capability, providing up to 20% greater r-value than traditional white EPS of the same thickness.
- Mineral wool is one of the most commonly used insulation materials in construction. There are two main types of mineral wool; Glass Wool and Rock Wool. Both are manufactured from naturally found materials on earth.
- Glass mineral wool is made from sand and recycled glass, limestone and soda ash. The glass is spun to form millions of fine fibres. A resin is used to bind the long fibres together to form a mat of material giving good tear strength. The density of the product determines whether the insulation is a lightweight quilt supplied in rolls, a flexible slab or a rigid slab, and it’s thermal insulation value.
- Rock wool is manufactured from molten rock in a furnace through which a stream of air or steam is blown at temperature of about 1600 °C. The final product creates a mass of fine, intertwined fibres which may contain binder (often food grade starch) and an oil to reduce dusting. When pressed into rolls and sheets their ability to partition air makes them excellent heat insulators and sound absorbers. \high quality Rockwool Fasrock-LL External Wall Insulation Slab and Rockwool Frontrock MAX E Dual Density External Wall Insulation Slab are available at Insulation Shop.
- Celotex SW3000 External Wall Insulation Board is another product we would recommend due to its easy installation (it presents a direct render solution) and wide application in mostly refurbishment external wall insulation projects. Although manufactured from a rigid PIR insulation core, which improves its durability and robustness, it is very lightweight and offers a much thinner solution when compared to the alternatives.
- To efficiently fix the EWI boards, you need an efficient adhesive that will be able to hold the board, while not damaging it. This can be achieved with Ceresit ZU Insulation and Mesh Adhesive which is especially designed for polystyrene boards. It offers high adhesion, flexibility, durability and weather resistance. Another option is to use the Ceresit CT87 White Adhesive-Filler Mortar '2 in 1' for fixing expanded polystyrene boards and mineral wool slabs. You could also use the Ceresit CT84 Express foam adhesive which offers a 15% greater adhesive strength when compared to traditional cement adhesives, also superb homogeneity due to the metal ball that prevents big air bubble from forming, and the ability to be added at extreme weather conditions such as low temperatures and high humidity.
- If you want the render coat to adhere well to the surface you will need a good primer layer. This is why your option could be Ceresit CT 16 Primer, as it can be very easily applied to the surface, It is unaffected by the weather conditions, easing the application of all types of renders and speeding up the drying process. Available in more than 200 colours.
- All necessary accessories needed for mechanical fixing of EWI systems are available at Insulation shop.
- Insulation panel fixings for rigid and semi-rigid insulation boards fixing (concrete, stone, blocks, bricks etc);
- Base and Corner profiles (aluminium, PVC, galvanized steel);
- Beads and Meshes.
- All necessary render material needed to give a decorative smooth finish to your insulated external wall is available at Insulation Shop.
- The stone texture 1,5 mm grain Ceresit CT74 Silicone Render applicable to both internal and external applications, ideal for substrates where high permeability is important, highly corrosion resistant, dirt and weather resistant. Available in more than 200 hundred colours.
- If you are looking for a high quality silicone-silicate render, then your choice could be Ceresit CT174 Silicate-Silicone Render, 1,5 mm grain, made for outdoor and indoor applications, due to its weather conditions resistance, also hydrophobic and UV resistant, combining advantages of both silicone and silicate renders.
- Ceresit CT60 Acrylic Render is another suitable option form the Ceresit family of renders, applicable to concrete and gypsum substrates, plasters, chipboards etc. It is properly protected from biological corrosion, vapour permeable and hydrophobic, again available in a wide variety of colours.
- Finally, we also offer the Ceresit CT137 Mineral Render, best combined with EPS insulation boards or mineral wool boards, applicable to external and internal walls, available in white colour, properly certified and weather resistant.