The external building elevation is subject to shear loads and wind suction. Distortion of the external wall surface causes internal cracking of the wall and appearance of cracks in render. Thermal expansion of the panels (cold and hot weather changes) also weakens the bonding of the panels to the mortar with time. Use of correct insulation fixings can effectively reduce these effects.
The external insulation panel has its own weight, which is transferred through shearing forces directly onto the wall. Most times, the mortar is the only connection of the wall with external insulation.
There is a technical requirement for the use of insulation fixings during the installation of the external wall insulation (EWI). The selection of the optimal insulation fixings depend on the substrate. There are specialised types of insulation fixings:
- for use in ordinary concrete,
- for use in solid blocks, silica brick, ceramic brick,
- for use in walls made of hollow bricks or cavity bricks,
- for use in lightweight concrete,
- for use in aerated concrete,
- for use in wood.
Since the resistance to load and the displacement under load depends solely on the substrate, to assess the properties of the insulation fixings in substrates such as cavity bricks, chequer bricks or hollow blocks, old substrates etc, tests should always be carried out on site. The mechanical insulation fixing is the only element that counteracts all forces that affect the external insulation system (EWI). The entire weight of the elevation and protection against wind suction forces rests on the insulation fixing, so it is very important to select the optimal anchoring.
Proper way of installing - full facing of the insulation fixing plate with the layer of insulation
- For insulation fixings, where you use only a mechanical drill and hammer to push it in. Friulsider FPR Insulation Fixings.Suitable for solid concrete, solid brick and solid stone substrates.
- For insulation fixings, where you use only a hammer.Friulsider CTP Insulation Fixings. Suitable for use in wood.
- Hammered-in expander nail fixing for EWI systems. Friulsider ISOFAST Insulation Fixings. Suitable for use in concrete, solid brick, solid stone, honeycomb brick, cell like clay brick, hollow aggregate brick, aerated concrete substrates.
- Screw-in fixing for EWI systems. Suitable for use in concrete, solid brick, solid stone, honeycomb brick, cell like clay brick, hollow aggregate brick, aerated concrete substrates.